I first saw this video of Seth Godin last year at the O’Reilly Tools of Change Conference, and it made its way to me again today. If you’re interested in branding and marketing, it’s worth 30 mins of your time…believe me.
Seth Godin has rules too
After re-watching it, I realized how right on track we are with 42 Rules. 42 Rules is about helping people get their ideas out of theirs heads and out into the world in a variety of formats – books, webcasts, blogs, videos, etc. Here’s is what I took away from Seth’s rules as it relates to 42 Rules:
- We are doing the right things – just not enough of them
- We invite readers to participate in the conversation – These Are My Rules…What Are Yours?
- We give away content – via Get 5 Rules
- We are strictly permission based
What can you do to apply Seth’s rules to your marketing efforts? Ask yourself these questions:
- Do you have permission to talk with your audience? Or do you just think you do and are hoping for the best…
- Are your ideas worth sharing? Are they the words you hope your audience cares about, or, are they the ideas your audience cares about in your words?
- Why are you doing what you do? Because you’re passionate about it, or, because you hope to make money at it?
The key is to understand yourself, understand your audience and identify where the two intersect. That is how you build your brand and your business.